Do you read the Quran but don’t understand its meaning? Do you wish to interpret the words of Allah (SWT) to abide by them correctly? Have you wondered if there is some guide to decipher the Quranic verses? The answer is “Tafseer Quran”.
Learning Quran Tafsir is essential to every Muslim in the world, kids or adults, male or female. Even if you are a Muslim living in a non-Arab country like the USA, UK, Canada, Australia, etc, you still can learn Quran online. In this regards, the prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said:
When Allah wishes good for someone, He bestows upon him the understanding of Deen.Hadith [Riyad as-Salihin 1376]
Now the most logical question you might be asking is What is Tafseer e Quran?
Tafseer Quran Definition
Tafseer definition can be understood by focusing on it’s root.The word “Tafseer” or “Tafsir” is actually an Arabic word (تفسير) which linguistically means “interpretation” or “exegesis“.
Accordingly, the “Tafsir Quran” can be defined as this Quranic and Islamic science that provides translation, explanation, interpretation, or commentary to the Quranic verses to better understand the Quran.
Quran Tafsir utilizes a compilation of other sciences such as linguistics, fiqh, hadith, and theology to provide a detailed explanation, translation, and clear understanding of Allah’s (SWT) words and message.
Definition of Mufassir
An author of a tafsir Quran is called a “Mufassir “ (Arabic: مُفسّر; plural: Arabic: مفسّرون).
The Mufassir is a person who’s Allah (SWT) blessed to obtain a vast knowledge of the Quran which enabled him to translate the Quran. He/she intends to demonstrate where, when, and why Quranic verses are revealed, as well as what they signified while at the time of the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) and also his companions and late followers.
Importance of Tafseer Quran
All of us need to know the meaning of Tafseer in English or our native language Quran as it holds great benefits.
Tafseer is extremely important and involves many benefits for every Muslim, such as:
The fundamental purpose of the Tafseer Quran is to help Muslims know and understand Allah’s (SWT) message and directives so that they can follow them.
- The Holy Quran is the most eloquent text ever. So even if you know how to read Arabic very well, you still can’t understand the Quranic verses properly without the Quran Tafseer.
- Quran Tafsir & Translation plays a critical role in setting the laws of Islam. It utilizes both Quranic verses and Hadith of the prophet Muhammad (PBUH) to create a complete, clear, and comprehensive set of Islamic guidelines.
- It endeavors to facilitate learn Quran memorization. By understanding the words you are reading from the Holy Quran, you will be able to absorb and memorize them much better.
- Quran Tafseer wards off evil, calls for and supports the truth, and deals with what pleases Allah Almighty because the Quran guides people to what is right and calls for the truth.
- Tafseer Quran facilitates learn Quran with Tajweed. When you know the true meaning of words you read in the Quran, you’ll be more capable of pronouncing them correctly without any errors.
- Tafsir science is one of the sciences that illuminates those who learn it his/her path. That’s because it involves the translation of the Book of Allah Almighty – which contains an explanation of the rulings. Like the Sunnah and the obligatory, and the revelation was revealed to the Prophet – upon him be blessings and peace.
Such is the Importance of Tafsir! Hence, we all should get in-depth knowledge of the Tafseer Quran.
How to Learn Tafseer Quran
Have you ever thought to learn Quranic Tafsir? If you did, then the best way to do so is to learn Quran with Tafseer online. This way will suit your busy daily schedule and allow you to get a quality learning experience even if there are no Quran Tafseer teachers near you.
Whether you learn Quran for kids or yourself, Tafseer Quran will open your eyes and extend your understanding of these holy words. This can instill the love of the Quran into your and your kids’ heart.
Quran Tafseer Online Course
Due to the importance of Tafsir Quran, Almuhammadi Academy presents the most comprehensive and flexible online Quran Tafseer Course with top Islamic scholars who have graduated from Al-Azhar University, Egypt. We teach the Tafseer meaning, history, seven famous Tafsir, and more!
Our qualified Quranic Tafseer teachers will assist you or your children establish the right interpretation of the Quran, recognizing the situation in which the verses were revealed, and understanding the Quranic verses in depth with the explanation through one-on-one online tafsir sessions
Moreover, you can start learning Tafseer Quran online for free by booking 2 free trial classes at Almuhammadi Academy without any obligation to continue learning if you are not satisfied with the course.
Let us help you to define Tafsir and make it easy for you to understand.
- Excellent tutors with degrees in Islamic studies
Our course instructors have graduated from Al-Azhar University. They possess immense knowledge and also vast experience in teaching Tafseer to kids and adults worldwide.
- Two free Tafseer classes for kids
We offer two free trial classes so that students as well as guardians can get acquainted with teachers, techniques, and class or session environment.
- Smart learning with technology
We teach smartly and interactively. We have lots of presentations, slideshows, videos, and audio that especially help kids in learning effectively. We use novel teaching techniques that help in the fast learning of our students.
- Complete study material with worksheets
Along with technology, we give equal emphasis on books. We provide study material to our students so that they can read and revise.
- Regular tests and rewards
We conduct regular tests, quizzes, and educational games. Also, we reward excellent students with certificates, virtual badges, and medals to keep the spirits high! Course Prerequisites
Tafseer Quran is an advanced science. So if you have no prior knowledge of the Quran, you need to take the following courses first in the same order:
- Quran Reading Basics Course
- Quran Recitation with Tajweed Course
Best Quran Tafseer Books in English
There are many Tafseer Quran books that have been translated into English. The best 2 of them are:
1. Tafsir Ibn Kathir
Ibn Kathir’s Tafsir is the most well-known and widely accepted interpretation of the Qur’an in the entire world. It contains the most comprehensive account of Hadith, history, and deep scholarly commentary.
1. Tafsir al-Tabari
The Persian scholar Muhammad ibn Jarir al-Tabari wrote Jmi al-bayn a tawl y al-Qurn, a Sunni tafsir (838–923). It quickly gained acclaim and has remained influential among academics to this day.
How to study Tafseer Quran for beginners
The definition of tafsir is now clear to us and so is its importance. So, we can take the next step of studying the Tafseer to enlighten ourselves. Here are a few tips for beginners who want to study Tafsir but are just on the first level.
- Start by reading and understanding the translation of the Quran in your native language.
- Learn the basic vocabulary and grammar of classical Arabic, as the Quran is written in this language.
- Study the historical context of the Quran, including the life of Prophet Muhammad (SAWS) and the early Islamic community.
- Learn about the different methods of Tafseer, including the literal, historical, and spiritual approaches.
- Begin reading Tafseer commentaries by respected scholars, such as ibn Kathir, al-Tabari, and al-Qurtubi.
- Practice reading the Quran with Tafseer, focusing on one surah (chapter) at a time.
- Join a study group, enroll in an online course, or take a class on Tafseer to learn from experienced teachers and discuss the Quran with other students.
- Be patient, as understanding the Quran and its Tafseer can take time and effort.
You can always enroll in an online course by Almuhammadi Academy to study Tafseer in Arabic and master it.
Who wrote the first Tafseer of the Quran
The first recorded tafsir of the Quran was written by the companion of Prophet Muhammad (SAWs) named Abdullah ibn Abbas. He was considered to be one of the foremost experts in the interpretation of the Quran during the early Islamic era.
His tafsir was known for its in-depth analysis of the Quran and its use of hadith as a source of interpretation. It was passed down through a chain of narrators and later compiled in written form.
Despite that, it’s important to note that the interpretation and explanation of the Quran have been an ongoing task for many scholars since the early days of Islam and many other scholars contributed to the field of tafsir.
How many Tafseer of Quran are there ?
The tafsir definition itself regards it as commentaries. So, it is difficult to give an exact number of Tafseer that have been written throughout history.However, the number of Tafseer that are still widely read and studied today is smaller, with several classic Tafseer that are considered authoritative and widely used by scholars and students of the Quran.
Here are 7 famous Tafseer of the Quran that are widely read and studied:
- Tafsir ibn Kathir: Written by the 14th-century scholar ibn Kathir, it is considered one of the most important and widely used Tafseer in the Islamic world. Ibn Kathir’s Tafsir is written in a clear and simple style, making it accessible to readers of all levels.
- Tafsir al-Tabari: Written by the 9th-century scholar al-Tabari, it is also a famous Tafseer. Al-Tabari provided a deep analysis of the Quranic verses and their meanings and also provided a wide range of views, opinions, and interpretations of the verse from the scholars of his time.
- Tafsir al-Qurtubi: Written by the 13th-century scholar al-Qurtubi, it is studied by many people around the world. Al-Qurtubi’s Tafsir is known for its extensive use of Hadith and the opinions of the early generations of Muslims, as well as the views of other scholars.
- Tafsir al-Razi: Written by the 12th-century scholar Fakhr al-Din al-Razi
- Tafsir al-Nasafi: Written by the 14th-century scholar al-Nasafi
- Tafsir al-Baydawi: Written by the 13th-century scholar al-Baydawi
- Tafsir al-Jalalayn: Written by the 15th-century scholars Jalal al-Din al-Mahalli and Jalal al-Din al-Suyuti.
Anyone can study any of the above Tajweed with our excellent tutors and know the real tafsir meaning in Islam.
What is the purpose of tafsir?
The purpose of Tafseer is to explain and interpret the meaning of the Quran. Tafseer can include an analysis of the language, grammar, and context of the text, as well as explanations of historical and cultural background.
The ultimate goal of Tafseer is to help readers understand the message and teachings of the Quran and to apply them to their daily lives. Indeed, Tafseer is mandatory for anyone who wants to understand the Quran or the rich Islamic history.
One of the many purposes of the Tafsir is to make all of us near to the Quran, Islam, and ultimately to our Creator. Learning Tafsir fosters a stronger relationship between a believer’s heart and the creator than reciting the Quran.
So, Tafseer helps us in:
- getting closer to Allah
- increasing our knowledge
- error-free understanding of the Quran
- Knowing about the context, vocabulary, and grammar with respect to time
- Building a strong Islamic personality and helping society learn through our knowledge
If you are still thinking about what is Tafseer of Quran, then Almuhammadi Academy will help you with it.