Muslims are required to do different acts of worship all year round, but as Ramadan draws nearer, our spirits yearn for a closer connection with our creator, especially through reciting Quran. Thus, this article discusses how to finish Quran in Ramadan so that we could reap a greater reward and dive deeper into the meanings of the verses of the Quran.
To get yourselves ready to meet such a goal, you will need to go through three stages, starting with the first one; preparation.
Stage one: Preparation before Ramadan
Just as runners need intense training before running a marathon, one cannot simply take up a huge task as finishing the Quran all in one month without preparation as preparation itself constitutes almost half of the process. So, how can you get prepared? And in what way could that guide you on how to finish the Quran in Ramadan?
1. Make a Plan:
Dedicate the time to make a Quran reading schedule during Ramadan and make sure to set manageable goals that suit your time and ability. Having a plan will give you a clearer vision and help you take steady steps towards your goal. Some recommended daily Quran reading plans will be included in a later part of the article that you could use as a guide.
2. Have back-up:
It is said that: “What cannot be completely attained, should not be completely left.” Bear this saying in mind when you face some hurdles that would slow down your progress and when Shaytan tells you to give up because you couldn’t finish part of your daily pages. Not managing to recite one of the designated parts doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t recite at all that day.
3. Preparation of the body and soul:
Do you know about the prerequisites for reciting Quran?
If not, you should know that there are some essential manners of reciting the Quran such as being physically pure, wearing modest and clean clothes, and facing the direction of the Qibla.
You need to prepare the vessel that would receive the grand meanings of the Quran (i.e. your heart and soul). Allah SWT describes the Quran as: “Indeed in that is a reminder for whoever has a heart or who listens while he is present [in mind]”
To ensure that you possess this state, you should follow these guidelines:
– Get rid of distractions whether in your surroundings or even mental distractions. That is one of the reasons why you should start your recitation by seeking refuge with Allah from Shaytan (Isti’azah).
– Purify your heart from sin.
– Recite verses at a slow pace and with concentration. Don’t rush while reciting only for the purpose of finishing a certain number of pages. Remember that the goal is to form stronger ties with the Quran.
– Choose the manner that allows you to concentrate more whether reading or listening in addition to reciting silently or aloud.
But, does listening to Quran count as reading? Ibn Mas’ud reported: The Prophet PBUH said to me, “Recite the Qur’an to me.” I said: “O Messenger of Allah! Shall I recite it to you when it was revealed to you?” He PBUH said, “I like to hear it from others.” Riyadul Salihin
4. Get used to reciting Quran daily:
If you are not consistent in your recitation of Quran, you should learn how to start reading Quran daily to make it easier for you to follow your 30-day Quran reading schedule.
5. Know why:
Get yourself motivated to keep up with your goals of finishing the Quran in Ramadan by reading about the benefits of finishing Quran in Ramadan.
Now, we’ll move to the second stage.
Stage two: in Ramadan
When the month of Ramadan starts, you will begin to put your daily Quran reading plan into action.
- Here’s a suggested plan on how to read full Quran in Ramadan:
If you consider that there are 604 pages in the Quran, you will need to recite one juz’ (approximately 20 pages) per day in order to finish the Quran in one month.
This could be done by reciting 4 pages after each one of the five daily prayers or reciting 10 pages in the morning and 10 pages in the evening.
- This plan would work if you wish to finish the Quran once in Ramadan but there’s another plan that will show you how to finish the Quran twice in Ramadan:
Needless to say that this will require more effort as you will need to finish reciting 4 pages before and after each of the five daily prayers. In total, you will read 40 pages a day and hereby, recite the Quran twice in Ramadan.
These are all feasible goals; however, can you read the whole Quran in one day?
Prophet Muhammad PBUH was asked a similar question on various occasions where he was asked to specify the duration of time it would take a person to read the full Quran. His answers vary as it could reach up to forty days or at least three days.
Some scholars stated that it shouldn’t take less than three days and there are others who considered finishing the recitation of Quran in less than that to be permissible, supported by the narrations of Uthman Ibn Affan, Abdullah Ibn az Zubair and others.
Nevertheless, the attention shouldn’t be on the duration it takes to complete the recitation of the Quran but it should be balanced between focusing on quality as well as quantity.
- There are some points to consider in order to stay consistent in recitation throughout the month:
- Take care of your physical health through avoiding inconsistent sleeping patterns as well as overeating.
- Get rid of distractions such as using social media.
- Use a translated version of the meanings of Quran in order to read your daily Quran verses in English to have a better understanding.
- Recite in payer, not only after you finish the five daily prayers.
- Always keep your copy of the Quran with you so that you are able to recite at any time and any place.
After the end of Ramadan, we go through the third and final stage.
Stage three: After Ramadan
Most people suffer from what could be called “Post-Ramadan Syndrome” after the end of Ramadan. This indicates a state of dullness and fatigue because they exerted all of their efforts in performing numerous acts of worship during the month of Ramadan. Thus, the period that follows witnesses a significant lack of motivation.
Still, Ramadan does not have to be the end of your connection with the Quran and you should not lose the relationship you made with the Quran after the end of Ramadan.
These tips might be useful:
- Keep a small and consistent schedule for Quran recitation so that you wouldn’t stop reciting your daily Quran devotionals altogether.
- Surround yourself with good companionship to support and encourage you for the sake of fighting the Ramadan blues.
- Hold yourself accountable by keeping track of your schedule for reciting Quran.
- Seek refuge with Allah from laziness and make duaa’.
- Remind yourself of the reasons why you read Quran every day during Ramadan and what you knew about finishing Quran in Ramadan benefits.
Now that we have mentioned the necessary tips on how to finish Quran in Ramadan, we need to answer one more question; is it compulsory to finish Quran in Ramadan?
Although finishing Quran in Ramadan is not an obligation, it is a great deed that follows the behavior of Prophet Muhammad PBUH and his companions. Especially in Ramadan when the reward is doubled for every good deed, Muslims should take advantage of this window of opportunity for them to reap splendid rewards.
Finally, a step that could get you closer to your goal of finishing the Quran in Ramadan is to enroll in our online Quran and Tajweed classes where you will improve your recitation of Quran by learning the essential rules of Tajweed with the help and guidance of our brilliant instructors. Our male and female tutors are graduates of Al-Azhar University and have Ijazah in Qira’at, therefore, they are qualified to give you the necessary guidance and feedback to help you on your way. So don’t miss the opportunity and join our classes now!
6 thoughts on “How to Finish Quran in Ramadan”
What i do not understood is in truth how you are not actually a lot more smartly-liked than you may be now. You are very intelligent. You realize therefore significantly in the case of this topic, produced me individually imagine it from numerous numerous angles. Its like men and women don’t seem to be fascinated until it is one thing to do with Woman gaga! Your own stuffs nice. All the time care for it up!
Its like you read my mind! You appear to know so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you can do with a few pics to drive the message home a little bit, but instead of that, this is excellent blog. A fantastic read. I’ll certainly be back.
Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it. Look advanced to more added agreeable from you! By the way, how could we communicate?
Normally I do not read article on blogs, however I would like to say that this write-up very forced me to try and do so! Your writing style has been amazed me. Thanks, quite great post.
I am truly thankful to the owner of this web site who has shared this fantastic piece of writing at at this place.
Great information shared.. really enjoyed reading this post thank you author for sharing this post .. appreciated