Have you ever listened to a well-known Qāri and wondered how can he recite the Quran so beautifully and accurately? The secret ingredient is “Tajweed”.
Now, you may be wondering if you can learn Quran with Tajweed and recite Quran like professional Quran reciters. Actually, you can.
In order to learn Tajwid properly, you must first know what Tajweed is and its importance.
Tajweed Definition (in detail)
You might wonder what is the meaning of tajweed. The word “Tajweed” or “Tajwid” is actually an Arabic word (تَجْوِيدْ) which linguistically means “to improve” or “to do better”. When applied to Quran reading & recitation, it means to improve how we recite the Quran using the Tajweed rules.
“Tajweed Rules” refers to the set of linguistic and pronunciation rules used in reciting the Quran to recite the words of Allah (SWT) correctly as same as the prophet Muhammad (PBUH) was reciting.
Tajwid is one of the most important sciences in the Quran & Islam. It is a science governed by deep-rooted static rules derived from the oral recitation of the Quran by the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) after he heard the revelation from the Angel Gabriel (Peace be upon him).Indeed, tajweed meaning in Islam is to recite the Quran perfectly and respectfully
Tajweed, in other words, is the ability to keep one’s tongue from making a mistake when reciting Allah’s Almighty words.
It could also be defined as giving every letter in the Qur’an its rights and dues of characteristics by observing the rules that apply to those letters in different situations and their articulation points.
The Importance of Tajweed
In order to understand the importance of Tajweed, you must realize that reading the Holy Quran is not like reading any other book. The benefits of reading Quran are unmatched physically, mentally, and spiritually.
The Quran is the words of Allah (SWT) and His divine message that was revealed to all humanity as mercy and guidance. In this regard, Allah (SWT) says in Quran:
The month of Ramadan is the one in which the Qur’ān was revealed as guidance for mankind, and as clear signs that show the right way and distinguish between right and wrong.The Quran [2:185]
Since this is a matter of religion, it’s our duty to recite the Quran correctly as it should be. That’s why the knowledge of Tajweed is Fard Kifayah upon all Muslims, kids or adults, male or female to learn.
Another reason that makes Tajwid very important is preserving the Quran as well as the Arabic language from distortion across the time.
Because Arabs interacted with non-Arabs after the spread of Islam, Muslims feared that the Arabic language, the language of the Quran, would be corrupted. As a result, it became critical to follow Tajweed regulations to keep the Quran recitation free of faults and to ensure the reader of the Quran’s pronunciation integrity.
Moreover, learning Tajwid will not only help you mastering Quran recitation but excelling in learning Arabic as well.
Last but not least, when you listen to Quran recitation with Tajweed, you feel like your heart is melting in the love of Allah (SWT) & Quran. Whether a Muslim or a non-Muslim, hearing the recitation of Quran applying rules of Tajweed captures the heart. In this regard, the prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said:
Make your voice beautiful when you recite Quran.Hadith [Sunan an-Nasa’i 1015]
How to Learn Tajweed Online?
Learning Tajweed is very important for all Muslims. So, we should never hesitate to do so even if we are at the beginning stage.
- Start with the basics: Observe the Arabic letters and see the difference in their shape, size, and nuqta. Learn the basic rules of pronunciation of each letter and try to articulate them from the correct position.
- Study the rules: Study the rules of Tajweed in-depth, such as the different types of harakat (vowels), articulation, intonation, and their rules of application. Move towards learning to mix and compound words and sentences.
- Practice regularly: Consistent practice is key to mastering Tajweed. Try to practice reading the Quran every day, even if it’s just for a few minutes.
- Listen to recordings: Listen to recordings of Quran recitation by skilled Tajweed reciters and Qaris to hear how the words should be pronounced. You can also try to mimic them for difficult words.
- Read with the meaning: Try to read the Quran with the meaning in mind, it will make it easier for you to understand and implement the rules of tajweed.
- Take an online or offline course: There are many online or offline courses available that can teach you Tajweed, find one that suits your learning style and availability. You can learn from native Arabic tutors through the online course, irrespective of your residence.
- Get feedback: Find a teacher or tutor who can give you feedback on your pronunciation and guide you in correcting any mistakes.
- Be patient and never give up: Learning Tajweed takes time and practice. Be gentle with yourself and don’t be too hard on yourself if you make mistakes. Remember that mistakes will only make you better and Allah will reward you even for trying!
Online Tajweed Course
If you want to learn Tajweed online, but do not know where to start. Almuhammadi Academy is here for you. We have assembled the best native Arab Quran teachers to learn Quran for kids as well as adults in an interactive and effective way.
In our highly efficient online Tajweed classes, you or your children will learn all of the Tajweed principles and articulation techniques needed to properly pronounce the Harakat.
Our specialized Quran teachers will walk with you or your children step-by-step from the basics of excellent recitation without any errors.
We’ll also teach you to practice placing the tongue, the lips and looking for the place in the throat from where the letter is uttered and compare it with the lyrics when you listen to them in the audios that we will send you after each class.
what is tajweed rules? Tajweed rules include many minute details under each category that helps us in mastering Tajweed and correcting our Quran recitation.
- Tajweed: The Foundations
- Al-Isti‘aatha & Al-Basmalah
- Al-Noon Al-Saakinah Rules
- Noon And Meem Mushaddadah
- Al-Meem Al-Saakinah Rules
- Ahkaam Al-Madd (Madd Rules)
- Al-Laam Al-Shamseeyah
- Al-Laam Al-Qamareeyah
- The Connecting Hamzah
- The Cutting Hamzah
- The Silent and Pronounced Alif
- Preventing Two Saakins From Meeting
- Makhaarij Al-Huroof
- Sifaat Al Huroof
- Levels of Tafkheem (encapsulates letters that are always mufakham)
- Tafkheem and Tarqeeq of the letter Raa’
how to improve your tajweed
If we have basic knowledge of Tajweed then also it requires a certain amount of practice to get acquainted with it. Here are certain tips that will help you in improving your Tajweed.
- Focus on your pronunciation, You must first grasp the letters, their sounds, and their pronunciation, which will greatly aid you in effective recitation. As a result, you must first master the sound of Arabic letters so that you can mix them properly in later lessons
- Focus on your tone, The rise and fall of the reading, as well as how you make voice/sound, are equally crucial. To perfect your recitation, you must learn and understand when to increase the volume, when to slow down, and when to silence.
- Master Waqf and other signs When we read the Quran, we should know the meaning of each sign as they are part of Tajweed too. So, along with correct pronunciation and intonation, it is also necessary to pay attention to stop, continue, and pause signs as they impact the meaning of the verse.
- Improve your Tajweed with the help of a professional tutor Online courses can help you not only in improving your Tajweed but also gaining perfection in it. Hence, you can enroll in an online course or hire a tutor online to improve your Tajweed.
Why is it Important to Learn Tajweed?
Reciting the Quran with Tajweed is beneficial because it allows the reciter of the Quran to properly pronounce the words and sounds of the Arabic language. Also, it is because of Tajweed’s rules that we can understand the meaning of the Quranic verses and connect with the spiritual essence of the Quran. Additionally, reciting the Quran with Tajweed can also improve the reader’s overall Arabic language skills. Ultimately, the Importance of Tajweed lies in the fact that it is the correct form of Recitation.
Tajweed is important for several reasons:
- Fulfilling the Purpose
The Quran is the Book of Allah, and reading it with proper pronunciation and articulation is considered a form of worship. By learning Tajweed, you are ensuring that you are reading the Quran in the way that it was intended to be read.
- Error-free recitation
Tajweed helps you to pronounce the letters of the Quran correctly and avoid making mistakes that can change the meaning of the verses of the Quran.
- Emphasis on the understanding
Tajweed also helps to bring out the intended meanings and emotions of our holy book, making the message of the Quran more powerful and meaningful. Hence, it helps in better understanding.
- Preserve the language
Tajweed helps to preserve the Arabic language by ensuring that it is read and spoken correctly. And it must be done so while reciting the Quran!
- It makes recitation beautiful and pleasant
Tajweed will improve the beauty and eloquence of your recitation, making it more pleasant to listen to.
- Improve your memorization
Once you master Tajweed, memorization becomes easy for you! Tajweed will help you to memorize the Quran as you will be able to pronounce the words correctly and understand the meaning.
- Respect the Quran
Tajweed is a way of showing respect and reverence for the Quran and learning it is an act of devotion. Hence, we must give due respect to the holy book.
Are you still looking for the meaning of tajweed in Arabic and more details on it? Drop by a message to know more! Almuhammadi Academy will help you recite, memorize, and reflect on the Quran with Tajweed. Our expert tutors can make it simple and easy for you. Opt for the free trial Classes to know more about it!
What is the difference between tajweed and Tafseer?
Tajweed is the set of rules and standards for perfect Quran pronunciation and recitation. Tafseer is the interpretation and explanation or commentary of the Quran’s meaning and message. Tajweed focuses on the correct vocalization and intonation of the Arabic text, while Tafseer delves into the historical and linguistic context of the verses to understand their meaning and significance.
What is tajweed Quran?
Tajweed is considered an important aspect of the study of the Quran and is studied by those who wish to improve their recitation and understand the language of the Quran better.
It covers various aspects of recitation, including the correct articulation of the letters, the proper use of intonation, and the application of various diacritical marks that indicate how a word should be pronounced. The goal of Tajweed is to ensure that the Quran is recited in a way that is true to the original Arabic text and that preserves the beauty and eloquence of the language.
what does tajweed mean?
The word “tajweed” literally means “correct pronunciation” or “doing something well.” In the context of the Quran, it refers to the rules and guidelines for the proper pronunciation and recitation of the Arabic text of the Quran.